Friday, July 1, 2016

The First Step


As earthly creatures, we have collectively endeavored to define every aspect of our world. From the largest mountain to the smallest particles, we have invented ways to track it all. Counting the objects in our world is a skill that is taught to us early in our lives and increases in complexity as we grow. Though we continually improve the way in which we can observe and track our world, and though we make tremendous technological advancements increasing our ability to measure everything in the known universe; time, as we know it, is limited by the boundaries we place upon it. But why?

Time is an invention of man used to measure his existence. It is the globally accepted way of tracking the revolutions of our world as we circumnavigate the sun through the vast expanse of space. It is the abstract creation by which nearly all of society revolves around. It is a limited imagined resource that is either used productively, or wasted. The creature Gollum poses this riddle to Biblo Baggins in J.R.R Tolkien's fiction "The Hobbit" which illustrates one way we view time:

This thing, all things devours.
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers.
Gnaws iron, bites steel.
Grinds hard stones to meal.
Slays kings, ruins town, and beats high mountain down.

Whether you view time as a motivating force that propels us forward into the future, a destroyer of lives that leaves nothing but memories in the past, or the timeless experiences existing in this present moment, time is an illusion. Not just time, mind you, but this very existence is an illusion of the reality that exists just beyond the veil. It comes as no surprise to me that the first words we have been given from the creator of heaven, earth, and all things that exist are:

In the beginning

Many religious scholars and educated scientists have spent their time dedicated to defining exactly when "the beginning" happened. There are widely accepted theories, speculations based on inspiration, and wild notions founded on occult beliefs, and yet we have barely scratched the surface of what knowledge there is to find within the realm of our existence. I believe the whole purpose of God's introductory words to man is to awaken him to reality that the exact "beginning" is as unimportant as the concept of tomorrow. The ever present "now" is all that is important, as it pertains to our existence because we can only ever experience the now.

In "The Book of Mormon", the prophet Alma teaches us that, "the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors...do not procrastinate the day of your repentance (Alma 34:32-33)". Alma admonishes us to repent and come to Christ NOW, for there is no such thing as tomorrow. The Lord revealed to Joseph Smith that, "NOW it is called today until the coming of the Son of Man (Doctrines and Covenants 64:23)". To solidify this concept of an eternal present, we learn throughout all of the scriptures that, "God is the same, yesterday, today, and forever." There is only this moment in time. You live in the eternal "now".

So it is, that I begin a new chapter of my life and introduce my words to the world. I am the least among those who call themselves Saints. I have lived a life of depravity and have wasted my time satisfying my lusts and committing great and malignant sins. In the sincerity of my heart, I feel as though my whole mortal tabernacle is defiled and that Satan has the awful chains of hell wrapped around me. But I have hope in Christ. It is my never ending prayer that I might perform some works of good upon this earth that I might glorify my Father in heaven. It is through the atonement of Christ, which I make a part of every "now" that I, a wretched and pitiful man, can become sanctified through Jesus Christ.

I would like to welcome you to my journey. This day, this hour, this minute, this moment, as you read these words, I pray you will find something of value. I try to fill my time with the things of God, though the world is always trying to pull me down into its insanity. I hope that by sharing my words and my experiences, that you will be edified and inspired to turn your life to the Holy One of Israel. I pray that I will be inspired to share the things from my life that will be of worth to you; not for glory or honor, but to show how the lowliest of souls can climb their way out of the pit of darkness and into the glorious light of truth.

As of the writing of this, I am 3 years into my search for further light and truth from true messengers. I have made tremendous strides towards my salvation and have had some serious set backs, but I am ever striving for perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment